Instagram is a picture and video friendly sharing site that allows users to follow and like different pictures or videos of other users. It is completely mobile. You can only view your timeline from a desktop. They allow you to share all of your other post on other social media platforms by connecting the accounts. Instagram was created by Kevin System and Mike Krieger. Facebook acquired Instagram in 2012 and it currently has over 300 million active users.
How can journalists use Instagram?
- Highlight major news stories. It’s a quick way into the newsroom.
- Connect news outlets with the audience through comments and feedback.
- Present the news in a visually appealing way.
- Have the crowd tell their own story by asking questions.
Brands that use Instagram well?
- Kate Spade
How to start using?
- Download the Instagram app.
- Press “Sign Up”
- You can also connect it with your Facebook account.
- Create a profile, and a start posting.
Pitfalls to avoid:
1.Download the Instagram app
2.Press “Sign Up”
Instagram is not good for:
- Long videos
- Long captions
- Using on a laptop/desktop
Journalists who use Instagram well:
- Jovita Moore
- Anderson Cooper